In accord with standard dental practice, Dr. Owens recommends brushing twice a day (in addition to daily flossing, eating a balanced diet and visiting your dentist regularly).
To help maintain good dental health, you should:
- Brush twice daily with a soft-bristled brush that fits your mouth comfortably
Replace your toothbrush at least every three or four months – more often if the bristles
become frayed, loose or worn.
- Use an ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste.
The proper brushing technique is to:
- Position the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short strokes.
- Brush the outside, the inside, and the chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- Clean the inside of the front teeth by tilting the brush vertically and brushing up-and-down.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your mouth.
On your next visit, ask Dr. Owens any questions you have about proper dental hygiene practices and techniques. He’s happy to help you achieve your best dental health.
For more information, visit the ADA website Mouth Healthy